Assign tags to messages and contacts
Tags are your personal classification system for email messages, contacts, and appointments.
Tags are an aid to finding those items.
For example, you might have one tag for Immediate Turnaround and another for Medium Priority.
The mail messages that are tagged can be in different folders.
The tags provide a way to show all messages with a certain tag wherever they are.
You can create and apply multiple tags to a single item in order to classify it under several categories simultaneously.
After creating a tag you can apply it to conversations, messages, or contacts.
Create a new tag:
- In the Tag Overview pane heading, click edit.
- In the content pane click New Tag.
- Enter the tag name and select a color for the tag.
Click Create New Tag.
The new tag is listed in the Tag Overview pane section.
Apply or remove a tag to multiple items at once:
- Select the check boxes for items that should be tagged.
- In the Actions drop-down menu, select the tag to apply.
- Click Go.
Remove a tag from items:
- Select the check boxes for items that are tagged with the tag to be removed.
- In the Actions drop-down menu, in the Remove Tag section, select the tag to remove.
To remove more than one tag, select All.
- Click Go.
Flagging an email message
The flag icon in the message list is a yes/no indicator that denotes whether the mail message has been flagged.
This can be used to indicate an action-needed item or to otherwise distinguish the message or conversation from a large number of other items of lesser
To turn the flag on, select the message or conversation and in the Actions drop-down menu, select Add flag.
To turn the flag off, select the message or conversation and in the Actions drop-down menu, select Remove flag.
You can delete custom folders.
You cannot delete system folders.
When you delete a folder, its contents are moved to the Trash.
You can recover contents from the Trash by dragging and dropping them to another folder.
- The Trash folder is purged on a regular basis, so items in the Trash do not stay there forever.
Delete a folder:
- Select the folder to delete
- In the Folders heading in the Overview pane, click edit.
- Select the folder you wish to delete.
- Click Delete Folder.
If there are messages in the folder that you want to save, move them to another folder before deleting.
Delete the contents of a folder
You can delete everything in one of your folders, but not the folder itself.
- Select the folder that you want to delete its contents.
- In the Folder heading in the Overview pane, click edit.
- Check Permanently hard delete all items in this folder. This operation cannot be undone.
- Click Delete All Items. The contents of the folder are immediately deleted.